Monday, August 8, 2011

Freezer Meal Cooking Day!

Today was "Freezer Cooking Day" at my house. This is how I do my freezer cooking: I make double or even triple batches of meals that can be easily frozen and then thawed/cooked, like casseroles, and then freeze them for a later date. I usually pick four or five recipes based on the ingredients I have at hand.

The meals I made today included: Lasagna, Mexican Chicken Casserole, Tuna Casserole and Chicken Pot Pie. Several readers have asked for recipes... I can give you basic details, but I don't really measure, so it won't be exact!

I haven't perfected my freezing techniques, but through trial and error, I have discovered some helpful tips. I love cooking casseroles in 8 or 9 inch round cake pans! Once your casserole is in the pan, wrap a layer or two of plastic wrap over the dish and then slide it into a gallon size freezer bag. Write the name of the dish and the date cooked on the outside, and throw it in the freezer!

I've bought several of these cake pans at thrift stores and garage sales so that I can have some in the freezer but still be able to make a cake if needed.

Below is my recipe for Mexican Chicken Casserole. Again, it is not even close to exact...but it will give you an idea of what I do.

1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup (or use homemeade)
1 Can Rotel or chopped tomatoes
1 Can Black Beans
1 Chopped Bell Pepper
1 Chopped Onion
2 Chicken Breasts, Cooked and Sliced
Green Onions and Black Olives if I have them on hand
Salt, Pepper and Chili Powder to taste
Tortillas
Shredded Cheese

Saute the peppers and onions until  tender. Add chicken, beans, Rotel and soup to pan and stir together. Add spices to your taste.

Layer the tortillas, the chicken mixture and cheese in the cake pan. Sprinkle black olives and green onions on top. Freeze or bake on 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment